/* Redirect */

10.02.2009

Fashion Friday: Teen Sensations

You know you've gotten "old" when you walk by an Abercrombie & Fitch store and exclaim "it's so damn LOUD in there!" I did this just recently and stopped in my tracks because that is exactly what my mom used to say when I'd drag her in there in college and think she was being "lame".  But while on Polyvore making outfits the other day I saw a few things in a row that were really cute that, lo and behold, came from "teen" stores like Abercrombie, American Eagle, Hollister and Alloy.  So I thought I'd look into what was available for us grown up at these teeny bopper shops and was pleasantly surprised by the sweaters, accessories, dresses and even jeans! While the fabrics may not be of the highest quality on some items, the economy is still in the crapper so these affordable choices work just fine!
While you won't find me going INTO an Abercombie (hey it IS loud in there and it smells like ex-boyfriends and regrets of my youth), I certainly may be placing some online orders. In fact, I may have found my perfect brown leather motorcycle jacket!
Abercrombie: loving the sweaters perfect for crisp fall weather and the silky cami's that would look gorgeous layered under chunky knits! Not to mention the plaid shirt dresses and ikat scarf I MUST have.






Hollister: More great sweaters that would look delicious paired with dark super skinny jeans and boots.

I am so excited about these brown leather motorcycle jackets- the one on left is faux leather and really affordable and the one on right is real leather and $300 (am going to be trying the real one-it looks sublime!)
 
They called these denim style leggings "perfect butt" -love the little ankle zipper and might be curious to try them on. Who doesn't want pants that give you the perfect butt?

American Eagle: More cute jackets, shoes and the perfect plaid shirts and tunics for fall. I am loving plaid right now for sure!



Alloy: Holy goldmine for trendy items you don;t want to spend a fortune on! These bohemian dresses would look amazing paired with tights, slouchy suede boots and cropped jackets or sweaters!


Adorable jackets for chilly weather!
 
Try the striped dress below with black tights, black booties and a cropped black leather jacket. Adorable and very French!


These two dresses are great for a night out on the town when you want something new but don't have enough cash to spend a lot!
 
Absolutely DYING over the jewelry too- thebig brass cuff?? Hello luvah!
 

An affordable messenger bag and suede foldover boots that will go with everything this season!
 
I'm off to read Teen Beat and wallpaper my walls with Twilight posters now.
Happy weekend!!!

35 comments:

Chews Your Food! said...

I really love your fashion fridays! I find myself checking them for ideas when I'm stumped on what to wear. Love the Bohemian dresses...

Anonymous said...

Wow, these are all really great finds, thanks for the tips!

Sarah Bradley said...

I love this post! Definitely just added a few things from Abercrombie to my cart! I love Fashion Fridays!

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Love the gray tank! Funny opening story...
Janell

Leslie J said...

oh man....I went through this several weeks ago with American Eagle. (posted about it on my blog too http://leslieguinn.blogspot.com/2009/08/identity-crisis.html)

It's tough to let go and buy stuff from these stores of yore, but this stuff is genuinely cute!

The Countess of Nassau County said...

You are so very right about Abercrombie. Guess when I felt old, when I walked into an Abercrombie to get a present for my teenage niece and was so overwhelmed by male and female semi-nudity that I actually had to leave with my 8 year-old (who by the way is one of their target age groups) in tow.

Since then, online only, and only if my nieces beg for it.

Beth said...

I just bought a bunch of American Eagle and Abercrombie stuff from the Junior section of TJ Maxx--for me (age 37). If anyone asked, I was going to say it was for my daughter, and hope they didn't know my oldest girl is only 7.

Hello Lover... said...

As much as I love all of these items I think my favorite part of this post is how the smell of Abercrombie reminds you of ex boyfriends and regrets of your youth - as funny as it is, I think for many of us you hit it dead on!

Jessica said...

This is crazy-- I was at the mall with my boyfriend last weekend and he was looking at one of those ridiculous jewelry kiosk's with gangster diamonds---I was pulled into American Eagle by THAT blue plaid shirt-- it was lined with jersey I think so I didn't get it---but my boyfriend comes in a second later and all he kept saying was "You do realize WHERE YOU ARE, don't you?!!?" I think he was having a break down.

Sarah said...

so funny, I agree on not going into the teeny bopper stores anymore. I am loving all the chunky sweaters!!

Elizabeth said...

I love Fashion Friday's too! I feel the same exact way about Abercrombie...the music is WAY loud. I used to think my mom was lame for complaining too. The clothes seem to be so teeny tiny too. A tank would fit on my leg! Because of all these reasons, I have avoided those stores, but after seeing what they have out for fall, I'm going to check it out and add some things to my vitual shopping cart.
Thanks Erin!

Katie @ Noodle and Boof said...

everything looks so cozy!

paula said...

really loving the sweaters. I may need to check these out.

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Loving that ruffled cardy sweater from A&F! They have pretty girly tops too- like you show. The music is too late- i feel older than my 24 years going in there...I'll order online :)

Have a nice weekend!

heather{dot}com said...

Love those sweaters!

Just a little warning on the Hollister jeans - they may be different now, but I tried a couple pairs from there a few years ago and they were SO low cut. I was rocking a little too much of the wrong kind of cleavage to buy them! Looks like maybe they've changed the age group (and body style!) they're catering to, though.

Christen Ales said...

Yummy sweaters! I hope Austin gets cool enough for these this year!

Christen Ales said...

Yummy sweaters! I hope Austin gets cool enough this year for these!

Allison said...

Love your fashion posts!! Just a random FYI..I have that exact same red paisley boho dress from Alloy, EXCEPT I got it at STeinmart (of all places) for a fraction of the price!

Great choices! Especially love those sweaters from Abercrombie.

Vanessa Stern said...

I agree, the bohemian dresses are a must have! I want to go out and purchase this weekend! Thanks for introducing me to Alloy, I'd never heard of them before!

Sarah Bradley said...

Any idea how the sizes run at Abercrombie? I'd love to get one of the dresses and do not know what size to get... I'm a 4 anyone who can offer help, thanks!

Beth Gales said...

I love Fashion Fridays! I feel the same way about Abercrombie, but really like that gray sweater!

Nan said...

Since the future ma in law says I dress bad, I look forwards to your fashion fridays for direction and advice. Never even heard of Alloy, and its so cute! xo

Bailey Quin said...

Only you could find chic items at Abercrombie...

LW said...

While I can't bring myself to shop at Abercrombie (too many instances of discrimination), I love this compilation of clothes! Fashion Fridays are the best, because they seem to grab all of the great trendy, cute stuff I've seen that are kind of floating around my brain in a disorganized (forgetful) mess and pull them together into cohesive outfits that make sense. So, thanks!

Jen said...

I still shop AE for cheap jeans (and they fit me well), sweats and summer shirts and sweaters. I love the Abercrombie 3/4-sleeve belted sweater! I've only ever bought one thing there (a pair of shorts) in my entire life, but seeing that sweater might warrant a visit.

Thanks for the highlights. Enjoy your weekend!

~ Jen

Megan said...

I found myself saying the same thing last time I was at the mall. It is loud and the smell of Woods emenates out of the store which is enough to keep me away. However, the option of online shopping is calling me back, especially for those great sweaters!! Always love your fashion fridays xx

Ashley said...

I'm with Heather on how low Hollister's jeans are! I worked there for 2 and a half years (I quit almost a year ago), but I would always wear Ruehl or Abercombie's jeans when I was working because Hollister's jeans are just so weirdly low!

Carolyn said...

I LOVE that 1st navy abercrombie sweater! I sent this on to my 16 year old sister. She already said she wants the brown leather AE jacket because it's so Serena.

Jessica said...

I would have never expected to find such pretty camis at Abercrombie.

Jessica said...

I would have never expected to find such pretty camis at Abercrombie.

The Redhead Riter said...

All of that stuff looks like it belongs in my daughter's closet.

Down Pillow said...

Wow, so many adorable finds! It's nice to see that you don't have to spend hundreds to look fabulous :)

alexkeller said...

i agree - it's too loud in there. makes me feel unwanted. maybe that's the plan....which is okay, because i don't want to have to yell to be heard at the cash wrap!!

Lucy said...

Just purchased two of those alloy tops. Thanks for posting them.

jill rosenwald said...

hi there erin,
i love that you have scoured the teen shops for adult looks.
i found a great fall cord from delias that looks great on many figures, and comes in delicious colors. i love them..and in fact i have on lime today.
here is a link
http://store.delias.com/item.do;jsessionid=07BE8D4ED4411EEF719318686236691D.worker3?itemID=51773&categoryID=1640&sizeFilter=&colorFilter=&brandFilter=

Blog Widget by LinkWithin